The Game Plan
The Game Plan Freshmen and Family Seminars are interactive presentations aimed at preparing incoming freshmen students and their family members for the academic demands of their first year as a UCF Knight. The objective of these seminars is to provide freshmen with the community, academic skills and resources needed to start their college experience with confidence. Additionally, SARC aims to provide family members with information on the important transition their student will be making, a sense of community among freshmen family members, and a forum to ask questions of UCF administrators. The Game Plan Freshmen Seminars and Family Seminars are presented concurrently but in separate locations.
Registration Deadlines & Costs
Fall 2013 The Game Plan Seminars:
- August 17th 9:30am – 12:30pm (Key West Ballroom)
- $25 per person Early Bird Registration through Wednesday, August 7th
- $40 per person Registration from August 4th through August 17th
Completion of online registration will reserve a seat at the seminar. Registration costs will still need to be mailed to SARC in the form of a non-refundable check made out to UCF, along with a printed copy of your registration confirmation. Please include the student's PID on the memo line of the check; include a Driver's License number on the check if the registrant is a family member and/or if the student registrant does not know his/her PID. No cash will be accepted and all registration costs are final and cannot be refunded. Upon payment of registration, an email confirmation will be sent to the email address(s) provided on the registration form. All seminar updates will be provided through email.
Registration checks for The Game Plan may be hand delivered to our office or mailed to SARC at the following address:
University of Central Florida
Student Academic Resource Center
Attention The Game Plan Seminars
P.O. Box 163115
Orlando, FL 32816-3115
The Game Plan Freshman Seminar is a proactive pre-enrollment seminar for first-time-in-college (FTIC) students also known as Freshmen. The seminar focuses on building community before the semester starts as well as the academic and life skills needed during the freshmen year. The seminars specifically focus on building a game plan to address the first two weeks of college to start smart and achieve success both inside and outside the classroom. The freshmen seminars are interactive, informative and fun!
Typical Topics Covered at The Game Plan Freshmen Seminars Include:
- What to expect, academically and socially, during your first two weeks at UCF.
- Introduction of the top three college success skills: time management, UCF resources and making relationships with UCF students and staff.
- Making difficult academic decisions.
- An inside look at the UCF campus culture and classroom etiquette.
- How to develop a working relationship with key faculty and staff members.
- An opportunity to connect with current UCF students to learn from their successes and trials.
- Meet other UCF students prior to the start of the semester.
The Game Plan Freshmen Seminars are a great place to meet other new Knights before the semester starts. Regardless of when you will be starting at UCF, please feel free to attend whichever session best fits your schedule (summer or fall seminar dates available).
The Game Plan Family Seminar is designed to assist parents and other family members of first-time-in-college students in understanding the academic realities of the freshmen experience at UCF.
- How to determine if your student is succeeding inside the college classroom
- Realities of a freshman student's first semester in college
- An inside look at the culture of a college classroom today
- Re-introduction of important campus resources for you and your student
- How to partner with UCF to make your student's first semester at UCF successful
- Meet other UCF parents / family members of FTIC students
- Smaller group setting provides the opportunity to ask specific questions of campus administrators
The Game Plan Family Seminars are a great place to meet other UCF family members of freshmen Knights before the semester starts. Regardless of when your student is starting UCF, please feel free to attend whichever session best fits your schedule (summer or fall seminar dates available). Family members can attend The Game Plan Seminars regardless of their student's attendance at one of the Freshmen Seminars.