|Hours||Mon-Thur: 8am - 7pm
Fri: 8am - 5pm
|Location||Howard Phillips Hall 113|
Our office holds academic success workshops throughout the semester, provides over 80 handouts online about study and learning skills, and has learning skills specialists available for one-on-one appointments to help develop the skills necessary to be successful in college. To learn more about these services or to give feedback on how were doing, please contact us, or friend us on Facebook!
- University of Central Florida – B.A. English
- University of Central Florida – M.A. English Language Arts Education
Rebecca Piety has over 15 years of experience in the field of Higher Education and Student Affairs where she has served at the University of Central Florida as Director of the Student Academic Resource Center since 2011 and the University Testing Center since 2008. Ms. Piety sees SARC’s main role as providing a learning environment that is inclusive of each individual learner, where students can take advantage of programs and services that will help them be academically successful and attain personal goals after graduation as well as while attending UCF.
Ms. Piety is a long time member of, and actively serves in committee roles for, several state and national professional associations, including: National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA), Florida College Learning Center Association (FCLCA), Association for the Tutoring Profession (ATP), National College Testing Association (NCTA), and Florida Association of College Test Administrators (FACTA). Currently, Ms. Piety has the privilege of serving as the FCLCA Professional Development Officer, as a member of the FACTA Membership Committee, and a State University System representative on the FACTA Council.
When she is not at work, Ms. Piety enjoys spending time with her husband, son, and friends.
- University of Zulia – Mathematics Education
- University of Zulia – Applied Math
- University of Miami – M.A. Higher Education Administration
- University of Central Florida – Ed.D. Higher Education Leadership
Dr. Ana C. Mack has been at UCF since June of 2003 where she currently holds the position of Assistant Director of the Student Academic Resource Center. In this role, she oversees the Supplemental Instruction (SI) program (Project A+), manages student learning support services, and assists the SARC Director with leadership, institutional effectiveness, and management of the daily operations of the SARC office. During her years at UCF, Dr. Mack has been involved in leadership training, strategic planning, program assessment, grant writing, academic advising, orientation, and program development and implementation.
Dr. Mack has over 18 years of experience in academic support services, academic advising, learning assistance, developmental education, curriculum development, articulation agreements, and college classroom instruction. She has served in higher education institutions such as Valencia College, Seminole State College, Rollins College, Miami-Dade College and University of Miami, providing services and instruction to a wide range of college students, including non-traditional and at-risk populations.
Dr. Mack is a member of the National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA) and the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. She received the SDES Continuous Learner/Stands for Opportunity Award in 2006 and the SDES Experienced Professional Award in 2009. Her professional interests include learning theory, developmental education, college student retention, program evaluation, and learning assistance programs.
In her spare time, Dr. Mack enjoys spending time with her husband David and family, traveling, and reading.
- University of Central Florida – B.A. Psychology (2009)
- University of Central Florida – M.A. Counselor Education (2012)
Brandy Espinosa currently serves as a Coordinator of Academic Support Services. In this role she coordinates the Access summer bridge program, Academic Coaching and Engagement (ACE) program, as well the Learning Fair.
Beyond her role as a student, Brandy was greatly involved in higher education. In her undergraduate career she fulfilled roles including Peer Advisor, Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, and Honors Team Leader and Peer Ambassador. As a graduate student she served as a Summer Advisor for FYAE, Learning Skills Specialist and Supplemental Instruction Supervisor at SARC. After completing her masters she moved to Tampa and served at a local college as a professional Academic Advisor, a role she continued at UCF when she first moved back to Orlando in 2015.
In her free time Brandy enjoys spending time with her husband, going to farmers markets and festivals, trying new restaurants, watching movies, and doing arts and crafts. Brandy is a Florida native who loves being so close to her friends and family. Not to mention, she is thrilled to be back at SARC and part of the UCF community helping fellow knights!
- University of Central Florida – B.S. Psychology (2010)
- University of Central Florida – M.A. Counselor Education (2013)
Kristen Horton currently serves as a Coordinator of Academic Support Services. In this role she helps coordinate the Access Summer Bridge Program, the Supplemental Instruction Program and coordinates and facilitates academic outreach workshops.
Kristen has served an academic community for several years with positions such as Learning Skills Specialist, Supplemental Instruction Supervisor and Supplemental Instruction Leader.
In her free time Kristen practices yoga and meditation and also enjoys sports such as gymnastics and martial arts. Kristen is originally from a small town in Ohio but is now excited to be part of the Orlando and University of Central Florida communities.
- Texas A&M University-Commerce – B.S. Theatre & Speech Communication (2007)
- University of West Florida – M.A. College Student Personnel Administration (2010)
Patricia Hartley currently serves as a Coordinator of Academic Support Services. In this role she coordinates Tutorial Services, Academic Workshops, National Tutoring Week, The Game Plan and Study Union.
Her higher education experience includes being a Success Counselor, Advising the Campus Activity Board, Academic Advising, writing theme songs for campus initiatives and presenting Academic Workshops to Greeks, departments and Student organizations. She is a strong believer in Astins Theory of Involvement and enjoys living her life involved in both the campus and city community.
In her free time Patricia enjoys hosting events, giving back to the community through the arts and being involved in her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. Through her commitment to service, education and love for theatre, she aspires to continually promote edutainment and Live. Life. Involved.
- University of Central Florida – B.A. Music (2010)
- University of Central Florida – M.A. Business Administration (2017)
Katie has been the SARC Office Manager since 2012. In this role, she supports the department through the areas of finance, payroll, special projects, general administrative support, and as HR Liaison. She also supervises the Student Assistant staff.
Katie is currently working towards a Master of Business Administration. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband, reading, dancing, and knitting.
- University of Central Florida – B.S. Psychology (2015)
Kristin joined SARC in August 2015 as a Project A+ Learning Specialist and Supplemental Instruction Supervisor, and also facilitates Academic Success Workshops and conducts Learning Skills Consultations.
Kristin is originally from Miami, Florida and is currently seeking a Master of Arts degree in Counselor Education on the Mental Health Counseling track and plans to pursue a certificate in Marriage and Family Therapy as well.
Kristin enjoys working with students, and has a passion for helping others. In her free time she likes cooking, exercising, crafting, traveling, and trying new and adventurous things.
- University of Central Florida – B.S. Mechanical Engineering (2016)
Lietsel joined SARC in August 2015 as a Peer Tutor for engineering subjects such as Physics for Engineers I and II, as well as College Physics II. Upon graduation, Lietsel transitioned to the Tutoring and Academic Outreach Graduate Assistant position, and also facilitates Academic Success Workshops and conducts Learning Skills Consultations. She is the coordinator of events such as National Tutoring Week and assists with Study Union and Learning Fair.
Lietsel is from Saint Maarten in the Caribbean and is currently pursuing a Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering. Her hope is to obtain a PhD in the major, remain in academia to be at the forefront of research, and inspire and encourage students to pursue STEM degrees. Lietsel has been able to inspire the younger generation by speaking at several elementary and middle schools about STEM, women in engineering/tech fields, and the importance of education. In her free time, she enjoys hiking, kayaking, art, live music, reading, writing, exercising, and volunteering in the community for causes such as environmental conservation, homelessness, at risk children, and animals.
- University of Memphis – B.A. Psychology (2014)
Alexandria joined the Student Academic Resource Center (SARC) in May 2016 as the Access and ACE Programs Graduate Assistant. She is a Learning Specialist as well, which includes facilitating Academic Success Workshops and one-on-one Learning Skills Consultations with students. She is also responsible for planning portions of the Learning Fair and Study Union.
Alex moved to Florida in August 2015 from Tennessee to pursue a Master of Arts in the Counselor Education program at UCF with a concentration in Marriage, Couples, and Family Therapy.
Alex has been able to express her passion for helping others in a variety of past experiences such as being a Recruitment Counselor for the Greek system, a Peer Advisor for the Psychology department, and volunteering at a Crisis Center by answering a hotline. In her free time she enjoys outdoor activities such as kayaking, swimming, and biking. She also enjoys reading, watching TV/movies, and spending time or adventuring with her friends.
- University of Maryland – B.A. American Studies (2016)
Katie joined SARC in August 2016 as a Supplemental Instruction Graduate Assistant. In addition to her SI responsibilities, she serves as a Learning Specialist by facilitating Academic Success Workshops and conducting Learning Skills Consultations with students.
Katie is from Perry Hall, Maryland and is pursuing her Master of Arts degree in Higher Education and Policy Studies at UCF. She decided to become a part of the Higher Education field as a result of her Resident Assistant experiences at the University of Maryland, where she additionally served as an SI Leader for an American Studies course and a Peer Tutor for a Journalism course.
Katie is an avid runner in her free time; she has already lost count of the number of marathons and half marathons she has completed! When she is not running, Katie can be found cooking or watching Disney movies.
- Major – Health Sciences
- Major – Biology
- Favorite Quote – "Well well well. How the turntables." -Michael Scott
- Major – Public Administration
- Minors – Health Service Administration; Non-profit Management
- Campus and Community Involvement – Vice President for National Council of Negro Women (NCNW); Young Women Leaders Program; intern for United Against Poverty
- Favorite Quote – "No one will do for you what you need to do for yourself." -Dr. Dorothy Height
- Major – Public Administration
- Minor – Emergency Management & Homeland Security
- Favorite Quote – "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." -Barack Obama
- Major – Biomedical Sciences
- Campus and Community Involvement – External Vice President of African Students Organization (ASO); Volunteer UCF
- Favorite Quote – "Live, laugh, love."
- Major – Psychology
- Minor – Behavioral Forensics
- Campus Involvement – Changing Health, Attitudes + Actions to Recreate Girls (CHAARG); Psychology Society; Psi Chi International Honor Society; Knights Pantry
- Favorite Quote – "Life is sababa."
- Major – Computer Engineering
- Favorite Quote – "If a man does not have sauce, then he is lost, but this same man can get lost in the sauce." -Radric Davis
- Major – Spanish
- Minor – Political Science
- Favorite Quote – "I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know Im doing it well." -Andy Dwyer
- Major – English Language Arts Education
- Minor – Hospitality Management
- Favorite Quote – "I have found that if you love life, life will love you back."